I sit beside the fire and think of all that I have seen, of meadow-flowers and butterflies In summers that have been; Of yellow leaves and gossamer in autumns that there were, with morning mist and silver sun and wind upon my hair. I sit beside the fire and think of how the world will be when winter comes without a spring that I shall ever see. For still there are so many things that I have never seen: in every wood in every spring there is a different green. I sit beside the fire and think of people long ago, and people who will see a world that I shall never know. But all the while I sit and think of times there were before, I listen for returning feet and voices at the door.

-J.R.R. Tolkien, from The Fellowship of the Ring

*this is my blog... be sure to read often, because my life is constantly changing! blessings *

Join a Blog Ring!

Powered by WebRing.

July 18, 2007

Auntie Cecilia


Well, we've finally finished hair!!! (thank goodness!) My mom finished today at about 5:00, and then we all hurried and got ready to leave, because my mom's friend was coming back from haiti at 9, so we all went to see her come home. We stopped and ate dinner on the way (we went to chili's... don't ever hesitate to get their southwestern eggrolls- they're great!). When we finally did get their, we found out that her flight had been post-poned til 9:30, so my parents sat and talked to cheryl's husband and niece while I sat and did... um... nothing! Actually, it wasn't that bad. I love watching people (not that I sit and stare at them, of course!). If you really take the time to look, you see a whole bunch of interesting-looking people around you, all the time. Like tonight, I saw an old woman who spoke with an italian accent (I made a whole story up in my head about how she immigrated to America when she was in her 20's, and had to leave her family to be with the young man that she loved, who wanted a better life for his soon-to-be bride, but he died soon after they got here from a disease, and so she had to return back to her old life- working in factories and doing everything she could to get by- only in a different country. She eventually started to slip away, slowly but surely slipping into a grim reality of hard work, heartbreak, and pain, until her brother and his wife immigrated here as well, even though it was against their parents' wishes. Then, she finally found a reason to keep living. Her brother and sister-n-law had 3 rambunctious kids, and they loved being around their 'Auntie Cecilia', because she told them grand stories of adventure and love. Finally, she grew old enough to see her niece's and nephew's children, and was only at the airport to pick one up!... very intersting, non?) and I saw an older african man with no teeth (okay, so I didn't make a story up for this guy, but he looked very interesting to me... i love seeing old people! I know that sounds incredibly weird, but the way I look at it, all you hear about on the news and television is about how people are dying and all this other terrible stuff. So old people sort of give us hope that terrible futures don't await us... even though it may seem like it.) See? I had all of that fun while my parents were chatting away! Well, I better go... gotta check my facebook. l8r!

No comments:

*COME BACK SOON!!